Friday, July 8, 2016

The Adventure Comes to an End

Fifteen or more years ago, when I would have a bad day at work, I would jokingly say "I'm going to chuck it all and move to New Zealand and raise sheep!"

Twelve years ago, when W was reelected president, I started investigating immigration options in Canada - and New Zealand.

Three years ago, Bobby and I started talking seriously about possibly moving to New Zealand.

Two and a half years, Bobby and I, along with Mike C. and Todd, journeyed to New Zealand for vacation and scouting trip.

One and a half years ago, I moved in New Zealand to start getting things set up for Bobby to join me a few months later.

Today, I gave my notice at my job.
I'm moving back to Columbus mid- to late-August.

This was such a hard decision to make. I really, really love working at Vista. But my personal life has become too much of a struggle without Bobby. I just don't feel the thrill of being here anymore. I'm lonely and terribly depressed and I don't see that ever changing while I'm here. Not to mention how expensive everything is here, especially housing. I am paying more, even after currency conversion, for my one bedroom apartment here than I pay on my mortgage for my 2 story house in Columbus. And buying is completely out of the question, since the price for an entry level "starter home" is now averaging $600,000 (in NZ dollars).

So this week I finally made the decision to move back. My apartment lease is up on August 15, so that was a big driving factor. Instead of renewing a lease or moving to another place, I think it's time to go home.

Last night, I slept like a rock. And had the most bizarre epic dream. In one part, I was preparing to perform (sing) in a talent show. And for my costume, I was wearing some bizarre take on Wendy (from the restaurant company where I used to work). And I was SO happy in the dream. After waking up and thinking it through, I put together that the singing and the Wendy's symbol were things that were very familiar to me.  And those familiar things were making me very happy. And so being among familiar things is what I need. (NOTE this does NOT mean I am returning to work at Wendy's). I need my family and my friends and my house and my kids.

It is going to be so difficult to say goodbye to my Vista family. They have been such great people to work with. And they've provided me so much support after Bobby's death. But I really feel like this is what I need to do - and everyone seems to understand completely.

So the next few weeks will be interesting. Trying to offload some of the things I've bought while here. Shipping a bunch of stuff (mostly books and clothes) back. Trying to find a job in Columbus (I would appreciate any leads or help in this matter!).

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Columbus is a great place and I totally understand your need and reasoning behind doing what you are doing. Also financially I think Columbus would probably be better for you and in actual fact provide you more opportunity. Have you tried reading into local ads or groups on social media? There are usually people willing to help with things like that or at least someone who can point you in the right direction.

    Abraham @ ASIC

    ReplyDelete