Sunday, January 18, 2015

The First Day

Yay!  I survived my first day at my new job!

Some of you have wondered what my job is.  I am now a Developer at Vista Entertainment Solutions, Ltd., in Auckland.  Vista develops software used by movie theatres for scheduling showings, selling tickets, etc.  I'm starting off working on the products used in the back office of the cinemas or the head office of theatre chains.

Today was a typical first day of information overload.  I had a brief overview of policies, got a tour of the building, including the evacuation zone.  Then I was turned over to my team lead, and all of the introductions started.  Too many names to remember of course.  After that, I started working on getting my work station set up.  After lunch, continued the setup until 2:00, when I attended a brief training session on report development.  It wasn't just for me, but for all devs who MAY at some point have to make changes to reports.  After that, it was back to getting software set up, and I'll be continuing that tomorrow morning.

After work, I had to drive to the office of the real estate company that manages my apartment so that I could complete all of the advance payments on my studio.  I am supposed to get possession tomorrow, but the carpet is being cleaned tomorrow so we'll see if it really happens.  I sure hope so - I'm ready to get into my own place.

My accomplishments for today:
  • getting all of my advance payments made for my apartment
  • surviving my first day on the new job
  • and most importantly - learning how to use the espresso machine (with milk frother) in the kitchen at work!

1 comment: