Saturday, January 17, 2015

What a Week

Hard to believe that I arrived in New Zealand only 1 week ago.  In some respects, it seems like forever.  I guess stressful times are like that.  But most of the stress was over little things - opening a bank account, applying for my IRD number, getting a NZ mobile phone.  The big stress was the apartment hunt.  I never imagined it would be as difficult as it was.  The problem is that this is apparently the busiest time of the year to find a place, as university students are also back in force looking for places to live.  If I have been here even one month earlier, it would have probably been easier.  But month earlier would have meant missing Christmas at home with family.  So the stress here was worth the time there.
And now I have an apartment, of which I take possession on Tuesday.  I'm still having some issues with that.  I have to pay 1 week's rent in advance, 3 weeks' rent as bond, plus a "letting fee" of 1 week's rent plus GST, before I get the keys.  And I've had a difficult time getting money from my US accounts into my NZ account.  Citi bank was barely any help at all - I tried to do a cash advance deposit, but the amount they told me on the phone that I would be able to do wasn't the amount that the teller was actually able to do - only have the amount.  The other issue is the hours that the banks are open - not terribly convenient for a bloke from the US who is attempting to get a lot done in a few days time.  I'm sure it will all work out.
And I start my job tomorrow.  I'm feeling a bit nervous, a bit anxious, a bit excited...  new people, new office, new work - and hopefully new accomplishments ahead.
What did I learn this week?  Some of this might be helpful info if any of my friends consider the ex-pat life.
  • banking - I was able to open a checking account with my passport and proof of address.  The proof of address was the tricky one.  I had not traveled with any bills or anything official with my name and address.  Luckily, thanks to the magic of the internet, I was able to pull down my latest bank statement to my phone and mail it to the personal banker working with me.  I didn't even need to make an initial deposit.
    The difficult part of the banking is getting money from my US accounts to my NZ account.  My bank in the States, 5/3, does not permit setting up transfers of funds via the internet banking.  That requires a visit to a 5/3 branch to request a wire transfer.  Which is kind of difficult to do when I'm here.  Luckily, I set up a certain individual with Power of Attorney, so that when his work schedule permits he will be able to do that for me.  In the meantime, it requires me to withdraw cash at an ATM and then walk to a teller to deposit it.
    - Lessons learned: research requirements for opening a bank account in the destination city, and also research the capabilities with your US bank to transfer funds.
  • mobile phone - this was fairly easy.  I walked into a Vodafone store, and say "I just moved here and I need a phone."  The sales folks are more than happy to assist.  For my NZ phone, I decided to initially go with a pre-pay plan.  I bought the phone and then pay a set amount for a set number of minutes and/or data usage.  I went with the $19 plan, which gives me 500 mb and so many minutes of talk, but I hate talking on the phone, so I think the data will be the limiting factor.  I'll see how long 500 mb takes me, and may opt for the 1 gb plan for $29.
  • IRD number - the Inland Revenue Department number is a personal ID similar to the SSN in the US and is required for anyone earning income.  The biggest hurdle here was the fact that the application form requires a residential address - which at the time of application I did not have.  Luckily, my home-stay host offered to allow me to use his, which I gladly took him up on.  Normal turnaround was 8 - 10 days, but for $10 I was able to get expedited service.  And that resulted in receiving a phone call the very next day with my new IRD number.  Other than that, the cost to apply was free.
    Lessons learned: research the requirements for obtaining a tax ID.  Download the form and see what information you currently do not have.  If you have any questions, call the respective department.  That's what I did with the residential address requirement.
  • Apartment - this is one of the trickiest parts, because unless you've repeatedly visiting your new city, or even lived there before, you can't have any idea where you may want to live.  You can have high-level thoughts like "near a bus or train line" or "furnished" or "2 bedrooms" or a price point, but until you're there and see what's available when you're there you won't be able to find a place.  I think it was extra hard for me, coming from living in my own home.  It's been 18 years since I rented.  And housing is expensive here.  Very expensive.  And it is definitely a seller's market here.  Agents won't even work with you on an individual level.  "Look on our website" is a very common refrain.  But again, I happened to arrive at the worst time of the year in which to find a place.
    Lessons learned: research what web sites might be available for rental listings in your destination city.  Determine if there is a major university in the area.  Do you best to avoid looking in that area, and also do your very best to avoid arriving within a month of classes beginning.  Also, unless you feel very confident, plan two weeks of up front accommodations while you look, even before you start a job if possible.  I scheduled one week, and while I found a place, I still had to schedule an extra two nights accommodations until I can take possession.  You really can benefit from the extra free time during the day to set up viewings and looking at places.
And one more lesson.  I think what will help me a lot is to figure out one accomplishment each day and celebrate it.  Everything I did during the past week, regardless of size, I celebrated.  Opening my bank account.  Applying for my IRD number.  Finding my way to a destination on my own without using any sort of Google navigation assistance.  It's the little things that sometimes drive us to distraction, and likewise the little things can make us feel really good.  So I will try my best to set time aside each evening and find the little - or sometimes big - thing or things to celebrate.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Michael! I hope your first day at the new job goes swimmingly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you, making your dreams come true! What an inspiration!Go, you guys!

    ReplyDelete